Term: August 2022- April 2023
Hours: 10 hours/week
Pay: $16.50/hour, bi-weekly
Pride Central is a student-led and funded service centre operated by the Lakehead University Student Union (LUSU). The Centre is open to all Members and aims to be a safe(r) space for Lakehead students of all gender identities and sexual orientations
through education, advocacy, and support.
Pride Central is looking for a passionate student to fill the role of Trans Inclusion Coordinator (hereafter “the Coordinator”) for the coming year who will report to the Pride Central Coordinator.
Roles and Responsibilities:
2. Events and Campaigns/Advocacy
- Facilitating events under the supervision of the Pride Central Coordinator and the Gender Equity Centre (GEC) Coordinator as seen fit, including but not limited to: Pride in the North, Trans Day of Remembrance, and Trans Day of Visibility.
- Creating and disseminating campaign materials (pamphlets, short guides, contact sheets) and advocacy relating to Trans specific issues. These may include but are not limited to topics on accessing health and wellness services, accessing the Ombudsperson, changing names in Lakehead systems, email templates for coming out to professors, and lists of Trans resources on and off campuses.
3. Outreach and Capacity Development
- Assist in developing and maintaining relationships with Lakehead University student services, such as Student Health and Wellness, Residence Life, Student Success Centre, and related academic departments such as Gender and Women's Studies, Sociology, English, and Education.
- Working with the Pride Central Coordinator and the Vice President Advocacy to apply for appropriate funding and grants in order to augment the work of the Centre.
- Assisting with the development and management of the Centre’s resource library by locating books, articles, pamphlets, magazines, DVDs, and other media relevant to the Trans community. This includes assisting those access the Centre in locating appropriate resources.
4. Trans Inclusion
- Acting as a point of contact for Trans students looking for information on a variety of Trans specific topics, including but not limited to:
- conducting regular surveys on Trans inclusion and experiences at Lakehead;
- hosting regular Trans Connection meetings;
- holding regular office hours;
- helping Trans students access gender-affirming clothing and supplies; and
- acting as the liaison between Trans students and LUSU.
- Advising Pride Central and GEC on Trans inclusive practices and policies for events, campaigns/advocacy, and services.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Experience:
LUSU and Pride Central are committed to the principles of employment equity. Applications from all qualified candidates are welcome; in particular, applications are encouraged from women, racialized people, Indigenous people, Disabled people, and
Queer and Trans people. International students are also encouraged to apply.
Email: Sam Mathers, Pride Central Coordinator, at email@example.com. Include a cover letter and resume. Please use the subject line “Application: Trans Inclusion Coordinator”Application Deadline: Friday September 9, 2022 at 4:30 PM ET
Interview Dates: week of September 19-23
Please take advantage of the Resume and Cover Letter review services offered through the Lakehead Career Zone. Go to mysuccess.lakeheadu.ca to make an appointment.
Applicants should include their availability for both Fall and Winter semester in their application.